1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp chopped seeded jalapeno pepper, optional
1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 large sweet red peppers
1 1/2 lbs. medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2″ slices
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cliantro
- For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the first seven ingredients; set aside.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill red peppers over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until the skins blister, turning frequently. Immediately place peppers in a large bowl; cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, drizzle sweet potato slices with 2 tablespoons dressing; toss to coat. Set remaining dressing aside. Arrange potato slices on a grilling grid; place on a grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until tender. Cut into bite-size pieces.
- Peel off and discard charred skin from peppers; seed and coarsely chop. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, peppers, celery, onions and cilantro. Whisk the reserved dressing; pour over salad and toss to coat. Serve at room temperature. Yield:8 servings.
Editor’s Note: If you do not have a grilling grid, use a disposable foil pan. Poke holes in the bottom of the pan with a meat fork to allow liquid to drain.
- I make this salad at least once a month – it is delicious! Usually I broil (or roast) the peppers and potatoes when it’s too cold out to grill and the salad still comes out great!
- My family loves this and so do I. Shallots are a good addition or sub for the garlic. It’s even better the next day if it lasts that long