What could be sweeter than the long, sunny days of June? Why, berries, of course! The berries of early summer are bursting with flavor right now. This classic berry crisp is a mouth-watering way to showcase their crisp sweetness. This treat even makes it worthwhile to turn on your oven. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream for a delicious summery treat!
- 4 cups berries (any combination of blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, etc.)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 T flourhttps://foresthillscsa.files.wordpress.com/2020/03/123cc-topping.jpg
- 1/4 cup light brown sugarhttps://foresthillscsa.files.wordpress.com/2020/03/123cc-topping.jpg
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 5 T unsalted butter, chilled, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup oats
Pulse flour, sugars, cinnamon and salt in a food processor. Add the butter and pulse 5 times more for 4 seconds each. The mixture should look like clumpy sand. Don’t overmix or the topping will be wet and homogeneous. Fold in almonds and oats. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Toss the berries with the sugar. Scrape into an 8×8” square baking dish. Distribute chilled topping over the fruit.
Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes. Increase temperature to 400 degrees and bake 5 minutes longer, until fruit is bubbling and the topping turns a golden brown.