• 1 1/4 pound kohlrabi, bulbs peeled
• 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
• 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
• 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
• 2 pounds kale (2 bunches), stems and center ribs discarded
• 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 1/3 cup salted roasted pistachios, chopped
• Equipment: an adjustable-blade slicer
• Very thinly slice kohlrabi with slicer.
• Whisk together lime zest and juice, 2 tablespoons oil, and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a large bowl. Toss kohlrabi with dressing.
• Finely chop kale. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Sauté garlic until pale golden, about 30 seconds. Add kale by the handful, turning and stirring with tongs and adding more kale as volume in skillet reduces. When all of kale is wilted, sauté with 1/2 teaspoon salt until just tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cool to room temperature. 3Toss kale with kohlrabi and pistachios.
Substitute walnuts or almonds of pistachios if you don’t have any one hand – and/or add extra pistachios for more flavor
Substitute Kohlrabi Greens, Chard or Beet Greens for Kale if you have those on hand
Use a mixture of Kohlrabi and Turnips
Marinate the Kohlrabi in the dressing for a while before cooking the kale
Julienne the Kohlrabi if you don’t have a thin slicing mandolin
Serve over quinoa